Becky (beckatsila) wrote in bad_service,

Medical Suck, Day 2

Good news--according to the X-rays, nothing's broken.

Bad news--I'm still in pain and rapidly running out of patience.

I went to talk to staff this morning, and overheard this gem.

Night Shift: ...she wanted to go to the hospital.

Day Shift Tina: She on Darvocent! They given her all the pain meds they can![No, my pain didn't make me forget proper grammar--that's what she said.]

I got the feeling I wasn't going to get much help. Thankfully, my head has cleared somewhat, so I'm able to use my journalism training. You'd be surprised how often it comes in handy.

Tina did med pass this morning. She didn't give me the flexeril or the darvocet until I told her that I was [still]in severe pain. She didn't ask what the pain level was or if I wanted to go to the ER, which is standard practice. I was civil, although I had quite a bit that I wanted to say.

My GP, Dr. Rinderknecht,[I'll bet he can always identify a telemarketer] called this morning. I told him everything I said in the post last night. He said he'd talk to staff, and that he's had to intervene before to get a psych patient medical treatment. He told me that it could be a pinched nerve, that he'd try to see me today, and if it gets worse go to the ER and try to get an MRI. I can't remember if I told him about staff refusing to take me or not.

Either he told staff something completely different or they're messing with me.[Language cleaned up on account of Jesus' birthday.]

I went to the office and explained the situation. Just my luck--Tina was the one who talked to the doctor. According to Tina, he would see me January 4th, no sooner, and he didn't want me to go to the emergency room if it was within my power to do so. I have a hard time believing that's what he said, so I went to Larry, Tina's supervisor.

Larry told me that they couldn't do anything since this isn't a medical facility.[I'm aware of that, but staff won't help me get to a medical facility.] He said Tina's attitude was probably due to the fact Dr. Rinderknecht was "playing hard to get". [Real-ly? Why'd he call my cell phone, then?] He said the tests had shown muscle spasms and they were doing everything they could to get me some help. He then told me--direct quote--"Part of this is your mental illness."

I talked to my psychiatrist, Dr. Fretwell[hello, irony!]. She explicitly told me that if it got that bad again to go to the ER. I told her about staff refusing to take me, but I don't remember the rest of the conversation.

I don't know whether I should go to the nursing supervisor's office today or not. It's only five blocks away--normally no problem--but I don't think I can walk that far and I can't arrange transportation.

In other news, did you hear the FDA is considering taking Vicadin off the market?

  • Post a new comment


    Comments allowed for members only

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded