I remember going for a battery for my former mini van I used to own.
The battery was going to cost me about 40 to 50 bucks which was alot for me at the time but my folks are good about helping me and my brother out with some of our expenses so I wasn't worried. I had gone to the local walmart, a store I've never had an issue with until this incident.
So they are taking a while to get my battery and finally this guy walks over, grabs a battery by the "handle" and I say "oh is that for such and such mini van?" and he turns and looks at me and goes "yeah" still holding the battery by this very flimsy plastic handle. I was a little nervous watching him hold it that way and it seemed that my worries were justified when the handle broke in his hand. I was standing a good length away, maybe 8 feet or more and yet when the battery fell and made contact with the store floor, it exploded all the gel inside all over and splattered my pants, part of my hands / arms and a then favorite shirt with battery crap / acid. I was a little shocked as was the mechanic mostly since we all were thinking this stuff is bad and you're not supposed to rub it over your skin. They told me to go use the bathroom nearby and I washed it off, feeling like crying cause it wasn't really hurting me so much as I was kind of uncertain if it was going to do anything since I had all this petroleum jelly like acid stuff on my hands / arms. I washed off my shirt which ended up having bleach stains after that from the acid, wiped off my pants and thankfully my arms / hands were just mildly irritated looking with redness. It didn't sting but it reminded me of rope burn or something had rubbed my skin a bit.
So I get outside back to the mechanics area and the manager's there now. He's like "well I can offer you a new shirt from our dept. How much do you think your shirt is worth?"
It wasn't much of an offer really and my shirt was nicer than anything at Walmart so I managed to convince them of that and that I'd rather have a 20 dollar refund on the battery. The Manager had this "oh crap, she's smart" look on his face and finally gave in and took off just over half on the battery. I called my dad and told him what happened along with what I'd gotten accomplished and he was concerned but glad I had handled it so well. LOL Just a little pissed they acted like the battery was the culprit when it was the moron mechanic who held such a heavy thing by a flimsy handle. It wasn't even thick enough to hold that weight technically. I was just glad they gave me the discount despite being such idiots at the time about the whole thing. It was more a negligence thing than rude service. I could have been blinded if I'd been closer and it got on my face.
A recent post reminded me of this event that happened in my previous apartment complex.
I was at the time working on getting my teaching credential and was working at a high school, which meant I got home kinda early, about 3ish. My SO won't get home until usually 5 or 6 pm. ( this is all relevant, so bear with me).
When I got home one day, there was no notices in the door so I went into the apartment and was sitting in the front room watching TV. My SO got home at 5 pm and asked me why I didn't take in the notice that was outside. It was a notice informing us that they were going to be spraying for bugs the next day at 8 am and that we should not have any pets around and that we had to take everything out of the kitchen/bathroom because that was where they were going to spray.
We tried calling to complain but the management was in a meeting and couldn't talk to us so I left a message letting them know that we were upset at the lack of timeliness of the notice, but that we had complied with what they had asked us to do. We then spent the rest of the evening stacking everything on our dining room table, cleaning out the bathroom and trying to find a boarding place for my cat. The next day I called to see if it was ok to renter the apartment. They said that they had finished all the apartments but ours because we had called and complained. They then refused to pay for the boarding or to have the company come back to spray our apartment. Thankfully we only had a few months left on our lease so we left at at the end of it.
I am so happy we no longer live here. On the bright side, if you live in the San Diego area, the Purring Parrot is a great boarding place. My cat was only slightly terrified and that in the cat world is a pretty good sign that they like something that is new and different.