I don't happen to know where the post is, but some of you might remember me: I had a bad experience with the vet more or less over medicating my hedgehog, and she sadly passed away. I got a lot of amazing feedback on that post, and now I have more vet shenanigans. I'm beside myself with fury and fear, and I really need help. Badly.
My grandmother has a Toy Yorkie, who is three years old. Her name is Zoey. Zoey developed a lump on her chest, the size of a fingernail. Her back left leg also gave out. Of course, we rushed ger to a vet. Not the same vet that dealt with my hedgie, but still a vet. Vet said there was no need to worry about the lump, and to keep her off her leg for six weeks. Lock her in a cage and don't let her walk.
Okay. We didn't lock her in a cage, because she gets insanely depressed at being crated. Instead, she got a nice comfy pillow and carried everywhere. She goes out on her walks, but in my arms rather than on the ground - so she still gets outside time.
Lump grew. Took her to the vet a second time. "Nothing to worry about." It grew. Took her to the vet a third time. "Nothing to worry about."
Took her to a different vet that said it wasn't anything to worry about, just a skin tag. A growing skin tag, that they wanted 700 dollars to remove. If it's just a skin tag, and not hurting her...sorry, but 700 is a lot of money for cosmetic changes. She's not a show dog, she's a family pet. If it's not dangerous, why bother putting her through the stress of surgery?
It's not the size of a door knob. Gramma called mom today. She took Zoey to the vet, for the fifth time (we're now looking at over 1000 dollars in vet visits and anti biotics for the leg, etc) and the vet says "Oh, it's cancer. 670 to remove the lump, but she'll probably die on the table."
Is there anything we can do to report this?! They told us on four occassions that it was a skin tag, despite its rapid growth. The cancer could very well be deteriorating her leg as well! They didn't do x-rays or biopsies, despite Gramma being fully willing to pay for it! Can we sue? Can we report them? Who do we report it to?
Zoey is practically my doggy soul mate, she's three years old. She's so young and...we could have stopped this, had they done the proper tests in the beginning. We're very realisticially going to lose a young dog, who has no health issues besides this. Because the vets kept saying nothing was wrong. We have all the vet sheet reports. What can be do? I'm not looking to gain money back, but maybe save other owners from feeling the same pain as us.
As a side note: this vet told a lady her 4 year old weiner dog has cancer and wanted to euthanise it right then, without tests. The lady took it to a different vet, and turns out it was an ingrown tooth.
Thank you all in advance for any information you can provide.
EDITED TO ADD:
Thank you everyone for the information! As Zoey is not actually my dog, I'll have to show all this wonderful information to my gramma, and hope she decides to push the issue. I will be reviewing various places about both of these vets. Thank you all again, you've been extremely helpful.