July 9th, 2008

Personal - Caricature

Deadly Bad Service

Man Allergic to Seafood Dies After Eating Crab Dish at Restaurant

LOVEJOY, Ga. — A man with a shellfish allergy is dead after eating an entree with crab at a restaurant.

An autopsy Monday confirmed that 35-year-old Rodney Hawkins went into anaphylactic shock and died after eating the dish at a Ruby Tuesday restaurant in Lovejoy last week.

Georgia Bureau of Investigation spokesman John Bankhead said Hawkins had ordered a chicken dish that contained no shellfish but was served another chicken dish that contained crab.

But Rick Johnson, spokesman for the Marvyille, Tenn.-based Ruby Tuesday company, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the server's order pad and the kitchen ticket indicate that Hawkins ordered the Chicken Oscar, a dish with crab meat.

Johnson called the situation "tragic" and expressed condolences for Hawkins' family.

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,378064,00.html

- - - - - - -

Of course, there's no saying whether he notified his server about his allergy and it could be just the most ultimately bad consequences of an innocent screw-up. But when you order what you order, you expect that order whether you just want it that way or because you need to avoid other sorts of food products due to such allergies...
me

Another allergy story for the collection

Recent posts about allergies etc. have reminded me of this little gem of bad service.

A few years ago I went to a (very expensive) restaurant with a friend of mine (call her J) who is extremely allergic to onions and related plants like garlic and chives. Allergic in the sense of anaphalaxis, carries an Epipen, has-ended-up-in-intensive-care-before-now allergic.

Collapse )